Our next workshop will be held on Tuesday evening, October 4, 2022 at 8pm ET live via Zoom. This writers workshop is an opportunity to get feedback on your short stories, novel chapters, and other work.
Everyone is welcome to attend. You do NOT need to be a paid member of the Kingdom Writers Guild to participate. You may choose to submit work for peer critique, or you can just come and observe.
To have your short story, poem, novel chapter, or essay included in the workshop, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 8am ET Monday, September 26. You must be present at the workshop to receive feedback on your work, so please only submit if you’re confident that you can attend.
Receiving honest critique from real readers is one of the best ways to grow as a writer. This opportunity is open to all writers, regardless of skill or experience level.
If you’re a member of the Kingdom Writers Guild, click here to access additional members-only information about the workshops. If you’re not yet a member, it’s free and easy to register here.
We’ll make the stories we’ll be discussing available for download to Kingdom Writers Guild members for the week before the workshop. Your work will only be available to KWG members who have an account, not to the general public. (Create a free account here to access the workshop.) We read the work before the workshop so that we’re ready to dive right into the discussion when we meet.
We typically hold public writers’ workshops on the first Tuesday evening of each month at 8pm ET.
You do NOT need to be a paid Kingdom Writers Guild member to participate in the workshop. You only need a FREE account. All are welcome.
How does the writers workshop work?
- You submit a PDF of your short story or other work to email@example.com by 8am ET on Monday, September 26. Please include your email address and page numbers on your work.
- We make that work available to the Kingdom Writers Guild for download by the end of the day on Tuesday, September 27. Create a free account here to login and download it.
- You read the story BEFORE the workshop and prepare some thoughts.
- We meet at 8pm ET on Tuesday, October 4 to discuss the stories. We’ll have a casual conversation to tell the author what we liked and didn’t like. As best as possible, the tone of the conversation will be brutally honest, but supportive and constructive.
- The meeting will last about 60-90 minutes.
- Do it again the next month!
If you don’t want to submit a story for feedback, you’re still welcome to attend and you can provide feedback to others. If it’s your first time doing something like this, you’re welcome to just observe and see how it goes.
“Feedback is the breakfast of champions.”Ken Blanchard
Rules for a productive writers workshop:
- You must be present at the writers’ workshop to receive feedback on your work. Please only submit if you’re confident that you can attend.
- If you submit work for feedback, you must read all of the other stories for the workshop so that you can provide feedback to others. That’s the way this works. If you want to get feedback, then you must give feedback.
- You are NOT required to submit to the workshop in order to attend. You’re welcome to simply read and give feedback.
- Your work does not need to fit into the clean “Christian” box, but please be respectful of your fellow workshop participants. Violence, language, etc. should be purposeful.
- When you submit your work, please provide a PDF. Short stories should be less than 7,000 words. Novel chapters should be less than 5,000 words. If providing a novel chapter, make sure the reader has enough context to evaluate the section you want feedback on. Feel free to include a short note to fill in any gaps.
- We will limit the workshop to eight submissions.
What should you do now?
Be bold and courageous! Choose a short story, novel chapter, or work that you’d like to really know if it’s any good or not, and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a great opportunity to improve your writing in a constructive, supportive community.
Don’t miss this workshop or any others! Join our free newsletter below to stay in the loop.